The Board of Directors seeks to use the Million Mountie Lights program to recognize and celebrate significant contributions of individuals or groups to the school district or to the educational opportunities in the community.
Through this program the board will recognize the significant contributions of individuals or groups that enhance the ability of the district to enrich the lives of students. Specifically, nominations must represent significantly noteworthy acts that have a remarkable impact on learning in general, students specifically, or community educational opportunities.
There are many students, groups, employees, and residents who exemplify the characteristics of this award. These are only three examples of what typifies Magnifying Excellence by Illuminating the Future.
- Individual who makes a significant financial contribution to the South Williamsport Education Foundation.
- Community group that raises money for a project that enhances the community and provides opportunities for students.
- Student who launched a sustainable Backpack program in the school that provides weekend meals and snacks for families in need.
Any resident of the South Williamsport Area School District, school employee, student, or alumnus is encouraged to submit nominations for recognition. The Million Mountie Lights nomination form is intended facilitate this process for both the applicant and the review committee.
The Million Mountie Lights committee is composed of three current board members and the district superintendent. The committee will review all nominations and grant up to 5 awards, twice annually. Announcements of the award recipients will occur in December and in May each year.
Nomination review times:
- Nomination forms received between March 1 and September 30 will be reviewed in October. Awards will be presented in December.
- Nominations forms received between October 1 and February 28, will be reviewed in March. Awards will be presented in May.