Before you start, be sure to use a computer with access to a printer in order to print your registration ID.
When registering – select the Pennsylvania Department of Education. We cannot accept the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare results.
1. The applicant must register prior to going to the fingerprint site. Walk in service without prior registration will not be provided at any fingerprinting location. Registration is completed online or over the phone. Registration is available online 24 hours/day, seven days per week on their website (https://www.pa.cogentid.com/index.htm). Telephonic registration is available at (888)439-2486 Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 6:00 pm EST. During the registration process, all demographic data for the applicant is collected (name, address, SSN, etc.) so there is no data entry required at the fingerprint collection site.
2. The applicant will pay a fee of $27.00 for the fingerprint service and the CHRI. The new system provides the CHRI online to the employer and all applicants will receive a paper copy of the report at no additional cost.
4. The applicant proceeds to the fingerprint site of choice with their registration ID obtained from registering above. Location of fingerprint sites and days and hours of operation for each site are posted on 3M Cogent’s website. The location of fingerprint sites may change over time; applicants are encouraged to confirm the site location nearest to their location.
Williamsport’s local fingerprinting site is the UPS store in the TJ Maxx Plaza.
5. At the fingerprint site the Applicant Livescan Operators (ALO) manage the fingerprint collection process.
6. The fingerprint transaction begins when the ALO reviews the applicant’s qualified State or Federal photo ID before processing the applicant’s transaction. A list of approved ID types may be found on 3M Cogent’s website. Applicants will not be processed if they cannot produce an acceptable photo ID.
7. After the identity of the applicant has been established, all ten fingers are scanned to complete the process. The entire fingerprint capture process should take no more than three to five minutes.
8. Applicants’ scanned fingerprints will be electronically transmitted to the FBI by 3M Cogent.
9. The FBI will electronically transmit the CHRI to 3M Cogent, where the CHRI will be stored in a secure server.
10. The CHRI will be available online for the School Administrator to review. Administrators receive login and password information from 3M Cogent.
11. The CHRI that is available for review online constitutes the official record. Applicants give permission for the School Administrator to review the report during the registration process.
12. The School Administrator will review the CHRI to make a determination as to the fitness of the applicant to work in the position in which they will have contact with children.
13. If the applicant is hired for the position, the School Administrator will print a copy of the CHRI for the school’s files.