The district and Nutrition Inc. seek to provide nutritious meals and plenty of options for students because no child can learn if they are hungry. Although it is first a parental responsibility to provide lunch money for students, we fully understand that as parents, we sometimes forget to send money to school or make that lunch account payment. For the benefit of the child, the district has taken several steps to help.
First, Parent Link will place a phone call every evening to the home when a child’s lunch account has a negative balance.
To further help, the district provides a web-based service called My Schoolbucks. By creating an account on MySchoolbucks, parents can set their own threshold for notification. For instance, instead of waiting for a negative balance, the system can be set to send parents an email notice when their child’s account reaches $10. Nutrikids also allows parents to make online payments with a credit card and monitor what your child is eating on a daily basis. Parents can access the program online.
Sometimes though, these preventative measures are not sufficient. In this case, the district has put in place the following guidelines when a student’s lunch account has a negative balance:
Central Elementary (Grades K – 4)
- When the account balance approaches a negative $10, the district will send home a letter to parents reminding them of the need to place additional funds on their child’s account.
- If the account is not corrected in a timely manner, the child will be provided a basic meal consisting of a cheese sandwich, fruit/vegetable side, and white milk to get them through the day.
Rommelt Elementary (Grades 5-6)
- When an account balance is negative, a student may charge two lunches.
- After charging two lunches, the child will be provided a basic meal consisting of a cheese sandwich, fruit/vegetable side, and white milk to get them through the day.
Jr. / Sr. High School (Grades 7-12)
- When an account balance is negative, a student may charge one lunch.
- After charging one lunch, the child will be provided a basic meal consisting of a cheese sandwich, fruit/vegetable side, and white milk to get them through the day.
Once the account has a positive balance, students will be permitted to begin buying lunch or other items as always. If you have specific questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact your student’s principal.