What is Title 1?
Title I is a Federally-funded program that targets kindergarten through grade 4 students for reading intervention and in-class support services. Pennsylvania standards based assessments are administered school wide and the results drive our instructional program. The instructional practices are based on sound research in Early Literacy, Fluency and Comprehension.
Intervention programs include LLI (Leveled Literacy Intervention), Fundations, and Read Naturally to develop language and literacy development. Under Title 1 reading specialists, highly qualified paraprofessional and classroom teacher collaborate together in order to create the best support system for the students. In class model and pull out intervention for phonetics and fluency to assist in the skill development of phonological awareness, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension.
R.A.F.A. and AR reading programs were created to support home/school partnerships. These reading programs gives students multiple opportunities to expand their reading capabilities. The program even includes a summer academy to reinforce reading skills. It is our greatest desire to empower students to be confident and successful readers who engage in lifelong reading.
Parents Right to Know
The No Child Left Behind Federal law requires that the South Williamsport Area School District notify parents of all children in Title I schools of their right to request information regarding the professional qualifications of their children’s classroom teachers. If you would like to request this information, please contact the district office in the Rommelt building, at (570)327-1581.
Title I Parent Policy
The No Child Left Behind Federal (NCLB) Law requires that Title I parents be informed annually about our South Williamsport Area School District Title I Parent Policy. This Policy states that:
- Parents will be sent letters informing them that their child is eligible to participate in Title I Reading.
- Parents will be given opportunities to offer suggestions about the planning, development and operation of the Title I program during the Back to School Nights, Parent Teacher conferences, Parent Teacher Organization Meetings, Title I Workshops, and through other school communications.
- Title I Parents will receive student progress reports three times per year during parent teacher conferences or at the end of marking periods.
- Parent Workshops / Trainings will be offered throughout the school year to provide parents with strategies to help their child succeed in school. Materials will be made available to parents to use with their children at home to reinforce what the children are learning in reading at school.
- Title I Parents will always be the first parents invited to volunteer in the R.A.F.A. Take-Home Reading Program.
- Parents will be sent a monthly newsletter entitled “The Parent Connection” which will provide them with helpful reading and writing suggestions for use at home. Also, Title I feature pages and Title I topics are disseminated to parents on a monthly to bi-monthly basis.
- Parents have access to the South Williamsport Area School District’s website through School wires that will provide them with information on Title I programs, reading instructional strategies to use at home and related websites.
- View Title 1 Parent Policy
A Year of Reading
2015-2016 Summer Reading Challenge
This summer Central Elementary is having three open library nights. The dates are June 30th 6-7pm, July 28th 7-8pm and August 18th 6-7pm. On July 28, 2015 we will follow up the library night with a movie on the football field! Come join us for the movie, snacks and a book swap. Bring an old book and swap it out for a new one! Click here for more information.
Summer Reading Blog
We cannot believe that summer is already here. Click here to check out all our summer reading events before it too late. Let’s have an amazing summer full of great reading adventures.
Parents Get Involved
Remember just reading with your child fifteen to twenty minutes a day can greatly improve their reading skills. Together let’s make reading fun.
Title I Reading Teacher
(570)320-4470 ext. 2209